Friday, March 16, 2007

Survey Questions for Being Resilient:

I would love your answers to any or all of questions #1-6. Questions 7-11 are for your own thoughts.

1. What Bible character do you see as being resilient? Why?

2. What Bible character do you see as not being resilient? Why?

3. What scriptures help you to persevere?

4. James 1:2 says: “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.” How do you find joy when you are in the midst of trials?

5. “Just do it!”, “No pain, No gain”, “By perseverance the snail reached the ark.”, What motivates you?

6. Can you live with out having any regrets? Paul talked about running the race, does 2 Timothy 4:7-8 mean that he lived without regrets?
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.” 2 Timothy 4:7-8

Thoughts to Ponder:
Here are some questions for you to think about:

7. Who do you know that is resilient? What have they lived through and why would you describe them that way? What can you learn from them? What have you done to encourage them on their way?

8. “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failures, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat.” (Theodore Roosevelt) What do you dare to do? Do you have a plan or what are you doing to accomplish this? How are you handling defeat?

9. How do you respond to the smelly little boy with grass stains on his knees and a tummy rumbling with hunger? What about the little girl who shows signs of abuse and a low self-esteem? Do you picture yourself as playing a role in their ability to be resilient and overcome their current life?

10. Who do you need to forgive or who do you need to ask for forgiveness; is it yourself?

11. What character traits do you have that help you to be resilient? What do you need to work on to help you to be more resilient? Take the time to pray a prayer of thanksgiving and of help in these areas.


Thanks for going down this road to resilience with me,
Kathy

8 comments:

The Preacher's Household: said...

1. Paul - he went through so many things and just kept going

2. Jonah- he went through what he deserved and fought God all the way

3. Phil 4:4-7 Rejoice, pray, don't be anxious

4. My kids help me find joy. I also get a great lift from my walks outside with God.

5. "Can't, never could" My mom chanted this to me during swimming lessons when I was young. I don't know why but it helped.

6. This was in my Wed. night Bible class book and I ask because I want your answers....

Kathy

Paula Harrington said...

1. What Bible character do you see as being resilient? Why?

I would have to say Jesus. He came knowing that it would be extremely difficult, knowing He would be rejected and fully knowing that He would die and we all know that it wasn't the nails that kept Him on th cross. It was love. In truth Jesus was born to die. He came with a mission even though He knew it would be hard. I think we all need to be aware that we have a mission and it's going to be hard. Why are we shocked when it is? Luckily we have a High Priest who knows us and has been there(Hebrews 4:15).

2. What Bible character do you see as not being resilient? Why?

I like your answer on this one. Jonah, bless his heart, just couldn't understand how God could be so good. I think we sometimes struggle with His goodness, too.

3. What scriptures help you to persevere?

Matthew 7:25 is one of my favorite verses. It's going to storm but I will get through it with Jesus. Bring it on! :)

4. James 1:2 says: “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.” How do you find joy when you are in the midst of trials?

Trials are what should keep our eyes toward Heaven. I know my struggles have made me the person I am today and I thank God for them and for getting me through Him.

5. “Just do it!”, “No pain, No gain”, “By perseverance the snail reached the ark.”, What motivates you?

Heaven motivates me. Knowing that I will someday stand face to face with Jesus motivates me and seeing my parents again motivates me, too.

6. Can you live with out having any regrets? We all have regrets. I hope they make me more like Peter and Paul. Better not bitter.

Thanks for this post. My brother, Brian Nicklaus, thinks highly of you two. I look forward to getting to know you.
Sisterly,
Paula

The Preacher's Household: said...

Paula,
I am so glad you left your comments. I enjoy your blog and I am glad to have any of your insights anytime! We like Brian too!
Kathy

Brian Nicklaus said...

Moses was resilient in dealing with others. keep in mind he probably had a cushy childhood in Pharoah's palace.

Joseph, of course, endured a lot.

Jeremiah and Ezekiel had very difficult ministries preaching judgment to stubborn people.

Job is usually the standard, but I would choose the first two over him.

"I am with you always" Matt 18:20

"The Lord is near" (phil 4:5-6)

HESED (faithful love) mentioned over and over in the psalms.

scriptures about God's faithfulness

Paul also called himself chief of sinners. I bet he had some regrets, but they didn't slow him down.

Neva said...

Joseph--family problems, evil women, famine, etc, nothing kept him from serving God

Judas

I would have despaired had I not believed I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Ps 27:13

He believes in me! Knowing God loves me and worked out all eternity to get me to Him.

I think we can live better if we live without regrets. Even mistakes are "worked out for the good of those who love the Lord". How could we regret the work God is doing in us?
It is kind of like sitting and holding our new baby in our arms and feeling regret about having to go through labor. Unpleasant things dont have to be regretful. We have to become "big picture" people. (That's truly the only way we can count it pure joy when we face trials)
ALTWIT (At least thats what I think :)
Peace
Neva

Anonymous said...

I just got home from work, and it's late, so I won't take the time to answer this now. I hope to have some time tomorrow to do this. Great questions, and I enjoyed reading everyone's responses too. Glad you guys & Paula are meeting. ;)

The Preacher's Household: said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Preacher's Household: said...
This comment has been removed by the author.