Thursday, March 8, 2007

What Are You Equiped With?

It is so easy to fall into the trap of religion, going to church. I have heard peple people talk about coming in the middle of the week to recharge their battieries. And while this has some truth to it, this is a dangerous habit. Yes, Hebrews chapter 10 says don't forsake the assembling of the saints. It says before and after this challenge why. We are to spur one another on and encourage one another. Fellowship is good.

But, what are we spuring others to? Love and good works. Life is lived outside the church building. The fourth chapter of Ephesians speaks of God appointing some to equip the saints for works of service. We need to be equiped with something. I think Paul elaborates in part on what that equipment is in chapter five.

We come together for encouragement. We come together for worship. But, maybe the most important reason is to equip us to go out.
This is a post entered by James. Kathy found the cartoon and suggested I post it with my thoughts. It's good to be the editor.
What do you think? Did I leave something out? Please share your thougths.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen church buildings that have a sign over the door going out: "You Are Now Entering The Mission Field." Do you think that applies here?

I think that saying implies that we gather with the church so we learn ways to be equipped to go out into the mission field. I think the phrase "recharging my batteries" means that while I'm equipped for my works of service out in the world, gathering with the saints in fellowship gives me the emotional and spiritual strength to carry out the works. Hope it doesn't sound like I'm contradicting you, because I don't think I am. I'm honestly not sure, though, if I'm supplementing your post or introducing completely unrelated thoughts. Maybe I should have waited for a day when I'm thinking more clearly. ;)

One more thought ... I think that churches today are too comfortable. We're content to keep the status quo & keep everyone happy. But we're not inspiring or challenging ourselves enough to get out and do the work we were called to do. I think that's one way we need to equip ourselves better.

Neva said...

James,
I agree, it is time we put as much effort into being church as we do into doing church.
Just my thought
Peace and prayers
Neva

The Preacher's Household: said...

Lisa,

I think we are on the same track. The trouble for many with the batteries is they are drained, but from what. Are we going into the mission field, or war zone as the armor analogy implies? Or, are we just like my cell phone battery that is constantly needing rechaged even though it does very little? Thanks for your thoughts.

Neva
As always, thanx for everything my friend.

James

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.