Friday, January 19, 2007

Holding on to a Goal

Christmas can either leave people with warm fuzzy memories, or heartbreak. It seems the beginning of this year has found a lot of my friends in marital strife. Even last night at Kobi’s cheerleading practice, I was asked if James did marital counseling. I am at a lost of what to say in the moment. Having been there, I know people do not want unsolicited advice, but my heart hurts for anyone in this situation so I want to offer some encouragement.
Last year at Tulsa, I was introduced to a singing group called Shades of Green. Amber and Crystal Green sing and write most of the songs on their cd, “Freedom in Christ”. I would love if my girls turned out like them! I want to share the words to the song that sold me on buying their cd.

My Maw and Paw
Too young, to know better.
Old enough to know what’s right.
A man and a woman,
Some said that they’d make it.
Others never thought they would.
But their love for someone greater,
Gave them the strength to say they could.

My Maw’ and Paw’
My daddy’s mom and dad.
Have a love like no other,
A love like most wish they had.
When my grandma walks in,
She still gets to him.

She still works,
To keep his house a home.
All their children,
Are now fully grown.
Yet laughter lingers there,
From all the memories they share.
With a life time of love,
And a heart full of care.

With laughter, tears and dreams,
Come a host of other things.
There’s wisdom in their eyes,
When they give me this advice.
“Long may you live,
Long may you tarry.
Love who you may,
But mind who you marry!”

My Maw’ and Paw’

This is my encouragement. My goal, my dream, is to have this long, lasting relationship with someone else. James is who I chose to do it with a long time ago. Honestly, there are times I wish it were some one else I chose, but he remains the one that is there. Everyday, I can choose to be someone he wants to smile at or be mad at. It only takes a few genuine good hearted efforts to get the ball rolling for a happy memory.
My wish for anyone struggling is for them to hold on to what ever goal they had to begin the marriage. Remember the feeling, the reason, the dream, and hold on to it. Work towards that goal like you would any other. If your spouse chooses not too, know that you are in charge of making your life one that you want to remember. So fight with everything you have to complete the goal. It will be worth it!

“The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.” 1Timothy 1:5

Love and prayers to you all!
Kathy
www.ShadesofGreenMusic.com

1 comment:

Neva said...

Thanks for commenting on todays post. I logged in a response to your question.
I have heard Shades of Green before ---and was very impressed.
Hope all is well with yall.
Love
Neva