Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Ice Storm '07

How has Ice Storm ’07 found you? We had about an inch of hard sleet that looks like snow, leaves no footprints when you walk on it and crunches. You can't even pick it up because it is hard packed. I've never seen anything like it. It has been in the single digits today.
Last Tuesday, I started a cold and the heater broke. On Friday, I felt a little better, but the heater man said he was bailing out because he could not fix it. Of course at 4:00 on Friday, I could not find anyone and with the impending storm I was feeling a little intimidated. Kyli's cold started on Saturday sounding a lot like croup. Josh stayed home from school today not feeling well. Here I am at 4:00 on Monday still feeling the same cold, the space heaters have held the house around 65, and we have a guy that is looking for parts but isn't promising anything.
It is during these times that I remember Jesus saying in Matthew 8:26, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” The apostles were facing a much worse storm that they were out in when he said this. I have a house that although we have a little heat source is still able to stay warm enough. The kid’s are running around in short sleeves, a princess dress and a duck towel so it is not as cold as I think it is. My fear and lack of faith have been for nothing once again. The cold weather is only supposed to last for a couple of more days. By then we should have a plan on fixing the heater for the next cold spell. If not, we know we’ll be ok. God has shown us yet again that he will provide.
As for the colds, it happens every year and won’t go away until we have all had it at least once. I think we are doing well to have lasted this long without getting sick. It is nice to not miss much because everything is cancelled or postponed.
A friend called and asked if we all had cabin fever. My reply was that even though church was cancelled, we walked over to the building and had service with just our family. The girls love to lead singing anyway. We sang, Jesus Loves Me, the B-i-b-l-e, the chorus of In the Morning of Joy (a new favorite of Kobi’s), Oh How I love Jesus, I will call upon the Lord, and of course Zacchaeus was the communion song led by Kyli. Josh read Isaiah 40:29-31, very well because of his week long practicing. James spoke from Luke 22 although I could tell it was quickly being adjusted with each new interruption. The most notable thing I think he said was that even though it may seem that we are playing pretend, that we are really worshipping God and that we should all take that serious no matter how old we are. God wants be praised and respected from every level of attention span. I think He was. And we now have a warm and cozy memory of Ice Storm 07! It is funny how warm you feel when you are singing, “In the morning of joy…”


Kathy

No comments: