Monday, February 12, 2007

Dedicated to the Ones I Love

It’s February, and I’m feeling Valentinesy. I am in my happy spot thinking warm fuzzies. There are a lot of people that have come into my life that I just love. I have loved my best friend, Connie since I was in diapers. College friends, Lillie, Randy and Chris, you were great friends to me, and I love you dearly. Ned, I have loved your teddy bearness from the moment I met you. People like Chip in DC, Tx who I just couldn’t help but love as I got to know his personality. Kim in Phoenix, Grace in Shattuck, Crystal in Gage, God sent you to me as special gifts and I love you. If I haven’t mentioned you, but you feel loved by me, you are right – I do love you! Don’t get me wrong, James may be the love of my life, but I have been truly blessed by great characters who have tugged on my heartstrings.

John 21:20 says, “Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them.” There has been some controversy about this scripture, but I love that he described the disciple as the ‘one who Jesus loved’. Are we not all the one Jesus loves? Do we not all want to be designated as the one Jesus loved? It is being that special one of love.

I like that it was perceived that there was a special relationship between this disciple and Jesus. It is that feeling that you are someone’s favorite. My friend defines herself as “God’s favorite child”. We are all God’s favorite – He loves us all.

This love that I feel for certain people in my life is special. It is a unique feeling, not defined by the usual sentiment of family or of romantic love. It is an unselfish, loyal, and benevolent concern for the well-being of another. It is a win-win situation if both parties are giving to the relationship.

James has been talking about Ecclesiastes on Sunday nights. As part of his Valentines’ sermon, he spoke on Ecclesiastes 4:9-12. It says: “Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.” You will be stronger if you have someone else in your life and even stronger if God is part of that relationship. This verse was in our wedding, and although it is often used in a marital relationship, it applies to any friendship.

God is love. He gave us the best gift of love through His son. Jesus taught us how to love another. He taught us how to be self-less, and concerned for one another. If you have love in your heart, you always have something to give. Who are your friends that you have exchanged love with?

Kathy

By the way, Martin Luther King, Jr. once said, “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.”

2 comments:

TREY MORGAN said...

Kathy ... Excellent post. I love talking about love. You can't over preach it, over teach it, or over give it.

James is a lucky guy!

The Preacher's Household: said...

Trey,
Thank you!
Kath