Wednesday, February 14, 2007

How Deep the Father's Love For Us

How Deep the Father’s Love

“How deep the Father’s love for us! How vast beyond all measure! That He should give His only Son to make a wretch His treasure! How great the pain of searing loss.
The Father turns His face away as wounds which mar the Chosen One bring many sons to glory.
Behold the Man upon a cross, my sin upon His shoulders. Ashamed I hear my mocking voice call out among the scoffers. It was my sin that held Him there until it was accomplished. His dying breath has brought me life; I know that it is finished.
I will not boast in anything; no gifts, no pow’r, no wisdom, But I will boast in Jesus Christ, His death and resurrection. Why should I gain from His reward? I can not give an answer, but this I know with all my heart; His wounds have paid my ransom.”

It has been several years now, since I first sang this song at church. I looked that day at the man standing next to me. He was weeping at the words as they were being put on the screen. He had known God all of His life, but at that moment, He felt the Father’s love come over Him so completely, so wonderfully, so assuredly, that He could not help but just cry. He knew it was at God’s loss that his ransom had been paid. How could he not submit his life after singing this?

It is in these moments that we are in the deepest pain and distress that we feel our Father’s love the most. It is at this time we are humble enough to know we can not boast nor can we do anything without holding His wounded hand. I have been there many times; on my knees with my head down, pleading for God to show me the way. And yet, I am able to gain from His reward because of God’s grace and unending ability of simply taking care of me. I gain simply because of the Father’s love for me.

“And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.
You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:5-8

Happy Valentines Day!

Kathy

1 comment:

Mommysmart said...

That is one of my favorites! It speaks to my heart eveytime, too. Great post.