Friday, February 2, 2007

Formerly Known As:


I want to alert you to some name changes. Princess Kobina Lafina previously known as Kobi Grace would like to be known by her new name of Kobi Lafina. She will be using Lafina as both a middle name and last name. As she has reached star status, this seems appropriate to her.

The Princess Kylita Rosita, previously known as Kyli Joy, is still going by the name Kobi. She rarely acknowledges her official name as one of her own, so she will continue to refer to herself as Kobi with the occasional drop of Rosita which is pronounced “Rowita”. However, she has decided she would accept “Cha Cha Cha” as a replacement for being called Kobi.

I thought you all would like to know.

Besides, what is in a name? It is not like we spent months trying to figure out exactly what these children meant to us. We gave Josh the strong name of one of our favorite Bible leaders because we are certain after all the prayers of Hannah that were offered up, that we will be turning him over to God for His service. His middle name Noble, is a character trait that we know he will possess.

After Josh being the miracle baby that he was, and not being able to conceive again, Kobi which means “most beautiful” (at least to us) was destined to be the apple of her father’s eye and the most beautiful gift that God would ever give to us. Thus she personified God’s “Grace” to us.

Then came Kyli. What a surprise! What a joy that filled our hearts! To us, Kyli means strong and adorable. (Actually it is an Aboriginal name for curved stick - a boomerrang.) She was the icing on the cake, the sweetness that made us complete. We thought about names like “Surely”, (Mat 28:20) because God will be with her always. If the girls were boys they were going to be Josiah Delestedies. Josiah for the obvious reason of “love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind; and Delestedies for Matthew 25:40,45. (A story was once told of a Christian school professor who would pass a homeless man each day that would yell “Delestedies”. Finally, the professor addressed him and said, “How are you Deslestedies?” The man responded, “that’s not my name, I just wanted to remind you that I am the least of these.” As in, “The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’”) It would have been a good reminder all of the child’s life. (I must say the grandparents were glad we didn’t get to use it.)

My first name is Billie after my Granny and Dad. I dropped Billie after I got married and started using my maiden name as my middle name. There was a time when I was embarrassed by that name, but I stopped using it out of convenience. There is one name we have as Christians that we should never be ashamed of, or stop using out of convenience. 1 Peter 4:16 says: “However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name.” That name is a privilege to share.

My kids will know one day what their names mean to us. They will know how special they were even before they were born. How their lives had a plan and that they were made just for us and us for them. Until then, we will call them lots of names, some wanted some not. My first name is Billie after my Granny and Dad. How did you get your name? How did you decide on your kid’s name?

1 comment:

Neva said...

My grandmother, one of the kindest women on earth--who never ever said anything bad about another living soul was named Geneva Ellen. Thus I am Neva Ellen Thomas Manweiler Cooper (Each name means something to me) I love all my names but the name I love best is Mrs. Jesus Christ. Pretty cool, huh?
Neva