Thursday, February 22, 2007

Yokes On You

There was a time when I would have said anything out of Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy would have but me to sleep during a sermon. Now, I enjoy reading Leviticus and Deuteronomy (still not so much Numbers although James can find something interesting in it). Although I do not always understand a lot of the Covenant, I appreciate that God has always wanted to be a part to all aspects of our lives. The directions were like His divine advice column. I was looking at Deuteronomy 22 today.

1. “If you see your brother’s ox or sheep straying, do not ignore it but be sure to take it back to him. If the brother does not live near you or if you do not know who he is, take it home with you and keep it until he comes looking for it. Then give it back to him. Do the same if you find your brother’s donkey or his cloak or anything he loses. Do not ignore it.
If you see your brother’s donkey or his ox fallen on the road, do not ignore it. Help him get it to its feet.”
Deuteronomy 22:1-4

It has been brought to my attention lately that returning your grocery cart to its corral is a sign of integrity. (By the way, James did this yesterday while I spoke the sermon on it in the car. I’m not sure they caught on.) Since most of us no longer own livestock, I guess this is a good scripture reference to support their claim. The passage protects people’s property, helping them know that it is secure. It reminds us to not ignore what is happening, but to be helpful to other people. Jesus uses an example with an ox after he healed a man of dropsy at a Pharisees’s house on the Sabbath. “Then he asked them, “If one of you has a son or an ox that falls into a well on the Sabbath day, will you not immediately pull him out?” And they had nothing to say.” (Luke 14:5-6) I think they said nothing because they knew they were to not ignore the needs of another person or animal no matter what day it is.

2. “Do not plow with an ox and a donkey yoked together.” Deuteronomy 22:10
There is actually quite a bit of wisdom in this. It is referenced to in 2 Corinthians 6:14-16, “Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial (Satan)? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: “I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.” There are a lot of Christians who struggle because they picked a mate that doesn’t share their faith.

A different way to look at this advice is in a literal since. Two different animals have a harder time working together. The donkey is shorter and when yoked has to bear the principal part of the weight. That makes the burden harder for the donkey. So, we should not expect it to work when we try to force two incompatible things together. Nor should we expect the one who is getting the short end of the stick to willing comply. I think I could apply this to people all day long.

The word for yoke in Hebrew is used figuratively of severe bondage, affliction, subjection or servitude. However, Jesus does not put a yoke on us that makes it too difficult for us to carry. “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:29-30) Acts 15:10-11 lets me know that I am not to put burdens on other Christians that God does not intend. “Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of the disciples a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear? No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are.” (Although, we can hold them accountable for what they are to be doing.) I am also not to choose a ‘yoke of slavery’ of any sin that will keep me from living the freedom in Christ. “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” (Galatians 5:1) By choosing sin, we are subjecting ourselves to bondage and affliction.

So, what can we learn from an ox and a donkey? Do not ignore a chance to help someone or something. Be careful of what you bond together, two different things are not always compatible. Also, do not choose to be yoked to something that will prevent you from being free in Christ. Deuteronomy 22 has a few more interesting tidbits that you will have to check out. (For instance 22:5 and a whole section on marriage) What do you find interesting in these books?

Kathy

PS: Trey if I put you to sleep then you can add this to your most boring sermon list.

9 comments:

Neva said...

Kathy
Hope Josh gets better---I just said a prayer for him.
I like the Leviticus passage you used and I think it is particularly appropriate to our "i dont want to be involved, i just mind my own business" society.
As far as the unequally yoked part, I think that has often been misunderstood to carry with it judgement. Like I am better so I won't be with . . . but it really has nothing to do with that. Sometimes other people are good people they just aren't good for you.
Just a thought
Peace and prayers
Neva

The Preacher's Household: said...

Neva,
Thanks, I'll tell Josh.
I agree that other people are good just not for you and that people misuse that scripture.
Kathy

Mommysmart said...

Kathy,

My heart swells with pride that now the cart sermon is forever in your mind, too. Loved this post and from now on I will be reminded to put my cart away and my brothers ox and sheep. ha ha But seriously, it's so easy to pass up someone with a need and though the day of the week is not my excuse usually "my schedule" is my excuse. Thanks for this post!

Anonymous said...

I'll let you in on a little secret ... actually, it's not much of a secret with my church family. I chose a mate who did not have the same commitment to Christ that I did, though I didn't realize exactly how far apart we were on that line when we got married. I can personally attest how difficult it is to have a growing, passionate desire to be with the Lord's church, to feel His Spirit living in me, to share that passion with my children ... and yet have a mate who does not have that desire. If I have a friend who considers marrying a non-believer, I will sit down and have a chat with her. It will probably get emotional. Living with a man who does not have a heart for God is probably the singularly most difficult thing I have ever done and will ever do. I honestly believe that it is not what God willed for me, that He wanted me to heed my mother's advice from childhood to choose a mate who was a strong Christian. But I also strongly believe that He wills for me to learn from this experience, to grow from it, and to help Dan find his way to heaven.

Well, that's just my two cents. I seriously doubt you would put Trey to sleep with your "sermon." :) I have been enjoying your posts and what you glean from the Scriptures. You've at least inspired me to give Leviticus a try again. ;)

The Preacher's Household: said...

Lisa and who ever this applies to,

I have heard the discussion of believer and non-believer in relation to Deut 22:10. It has some truth to it as does verse nine. But like the Proverbs they are truths to be carefully considered. Farmers do plant to crops together today and it can be beneficial. I don't mean to seem to undermine my wife, but, we need to be careful about our application.

I say this to give you encouragement. Although my dad is a minister and I was raised most my life by him (I was adopted), I was very influenced by the world. There was a time I doubted I had ever been a Christian. When Kathy and I married I was studying for ministry. In some ways I would say we were unequally yoked. She was probably more spiritually mature. I was a christian and a minister but really struggled to plow in the same direction she was going. We had been married for probalby six years before I surrendered enough and started maturing enough to be able to plow together. There were some real battles, like a donkey and ox would have. God is gracious. Keep the faith. God will work on his heart. I pray that you feel support from your family that it is possible for your husband to be that perfect partner.

James

Anonymous said...

Thank you, James. That really touched me. I keep advice and encouragement like that very close to my heart. It's a big part of why I've become part of the blog community. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, my hand is slapped. I'll return my carts from now on. I guess I didn't realize how many lost donkey's and oxen have past my way. I have forgotten to care for them as if they were on my on, I just assumed someone else would do it.

Lisa,
My heart was pulled to what you wrote. I married a man whose commitment to Christ was also different from mine. He was 'raised' (or should I say, drug up) church of Christ, but after marriage and 3 children I realized we were like the ox and donkey yoked together. I memorized I Pet.3:1, "Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives." I tried to live this verse every day. He would only attend church 1 or 2 times a month on Sunday morning only and then he would wonder the halls looking for someone to visit with until church was over. He worked all the time, but when he would come home early and I would be walking out the door for worship, he would lay the guilt trips on me and we would usually pull off a big fight. It got to where I would have to read my Bible when he was at work or there would be more guilt trips and fights. After 13 years of marriage he came home from work one day and announced, "I'm going to Sunset to be a preacher." With a shocked look on my face I replied, "You do know you have to go to church 3 times a week?"

This year begins his 14th year of preaching.
Just remember....
Matt.19:26 "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Anonymous said...

Monolea, the beginning of your marriage sounds a lot like mine. I have to be careful with how involved I get with church activities because he manages to make me feel guilty for not spending time with the family (as I have a tendency to get involved with as much as possible, it is okay & even good to cut back on those some). And this is from a man who was also raised in the church. I seriously doubt he will ever become a preacher, but I do hold onto any hope anyone throws my way. :) So, thanks. I also hold onto 1 Peter 3:1. It took me several years of knowing that verse to even realize the part that said, "won over without words." Sometimes when I want to say something, I realize the Spirit is telling me to stay quiet. It's been a blessing to us both that I have learned to listen to that Voice.

And yes, please put your carts away! ;)

The Preacher's Household: said...

I really appreciate all of your comments!
kathy